Thursday 1 September 2016

Masses of Migrants

I really enjoy this time of year because of the sheer number of Migrant Hawkers around. Today at Ditchford, there must have been 100+ buzzing around the margins, with several pairs in-cop and ovipositing. They are very territorial and clash quite readily where territories cross. Their habit of hovering makes in-flight shots fairly easy. Also seen were Brown Hawkers, Common and Ruddy Darters and Common Blue Damselflies.

The Willow Emerald is still present at Boardwalks Nature Reserve in Turkey according to Trisha Thompson. I visited with Trisha last Friday and managed to find it after about 1 hour of hunting. During my visit, I also recorded Southern Hawker, Brown Hawker, Migrant Hawker, Ruddy Darter, Common Darter, Blue-tailed and Common Blue Damselflies. Interestingly no normal Emeralds, although Trisha confirmed they are present on some of the ponds. I understand another Willow Emerald has been recorded at Kings Dyke in Peterborough, so there is clear a few in the area. Where else I wonder?

Ruddy Darter at Ditchford

Common Darter at Boardwalks LNR

Migrant Hawker cleaning itself from cobwebs

Migrant Hawker


Migrant Hawker