Saturday 22 April 2017

The 2017 season starts (at last)

I've been following the emergence of several species in other counties with some jealousy over the last few weeks, where Large Reds, Hairys, Downy Emeralds, Variables, and Four-spots have all been have seen. Despite some searching I haven't been able to find anything, so we are way behind others and have some catching up to do.

Luckily, I received an email from Doug Goddard that Pete Sharpe found a Large Red in Castle Ashby gardens on 20 April, marking the first record in Northants. At last!

I went out on 22 April to Yardley Chase and found around 20 Large Reds, some emerging and some taking their first flights. I was lucky enough to find this female emerging in a good spot to capture. The sun was quite variable, and it was great to watch, lying flat out in the damp pond margins.

I have created a facebook group to promote Northants Dragonflies, so if any blog readers are on facebook please join the group and post sightings and photos. This blog will mirror what's on facebook and both will run side-by-side.